The Biden Administration has been slow to implement sanctions under the Uyghur Human Rights Policy Act, which became law in 2020, and seeks to hold the perpetrators of the Uyghur genocide accountable. U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) and U.S. Representative Mike...
In-person Mobile Office Hours Monday, December 11, 2023 Jackson County 9:30am – 11:00am CST UF/IFAS Jackson County Extension 2741 Penn Ave. Suite 3 Marianna, FL 32448 Click Here Pinellas County 1:30pm – 3:00pm EST Pinellas Park Chamber of Commerce 5851 Park...
Foreign adversaries, including China, have significantly increased covert tactics to infiltrate American colleges and K-12 schools. They do this to steal research, spread propaganda, and silence students and academics. U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) and...
The criminal Maduro regime issued bogus warrants to arrest members of the Venezuelan opposition, including several campaign staffers working for opposition leader María Corina Machado, who won the opposition’s primary election earlier this year. Last night, Roberto...
El senador estadounidense Marco Rubio (R-FL) habló con Ninoska Pérez en La Poderosa 670 AM, sobre los grupos en EE.UU. que apoyan la masacre que lidera Hamás contra Israel, sobre los reclamos para un cese de fuego, sobre el arresto de Manuel Rocha y más. Una...
Yes, We Should Restrict U.S. Investment in China U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) December 7, 2023 National Review [A] recent investigation reveals that U.S. firm BlackRock is funneling the assets of millions of unwitting Americans into Chinese companies directly...
Rubio Introduces Bill to Close Confucius Institutes Loophole
Confucius Institutes continue to pose a threat to the American people as the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) uses colleges and universities to influence higher education in our nation. Earlier this year, the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) announced the creation of a Confucius Institute Waiver Program (CIWP) that will be responsible for approving or denying waiver applications from any U.S. college that hosts a Confucius Institute.
U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) introduced the No Federal Funding for CCP Spying and Persuasion In Education Settings (SPIES) Act. The bill closes the CIWP loophole and prohibits any DoD funding for colleges that host Confucius Institutes. The legislation also prohibits DoD funding for international institutions of higher education that host Confucius Institutes.
“U.S. taxpayer dollars should not be benefiting the CCP and its murderous regime. Confucius Institutes, which are directed by Beijing, have plagued college campuses in our nation with the CCP’s propaganda. There is no reason why the DoD should support these institutes.” – Senator Rubio
Congressman Jim Banks (R-IN) introduced companion legislation in the House of Representatives.
“There is no situation where we should make it easier for the Chinese Communist Party to spy on our universities. Safeguarding American research by ensuring no DOD funds go to universities with Confucius Institutes is common sense and vital to our national security.” – Congressman Banks
Want more information?
- March 2022: Rubio Joins Blackburn and Colleagues in Introducing Bill to Ensure Confucius Institutes Abide by Standards of Transparency
- February 2022: Rubio Calls for End to U.S-China University Partnerships that Support the Development of Chinese Military Technologies
- February 2021: Rubio Joins Romney, Grassley, Portman in Urging President Biden to Implement Rule on Confucius Institutes
- October 2020: Rubio Joins Colleagues Urging the College Board to Reevaluate Its Relationship With the CCP’s Confucius Institutes
- May 2019: Rubio Applauds DOD Decision to Deny Funds to American Universities that Have Agreements with Chinese Run Confucius Institutes
- March 2018: Rubio Urges Senate to Tighten Federal Funding for U.S. Schools with Confucius Institutes
- May 2018: Rubio Challenges Florida Schools with Confucius Institutes to Hold Open Discussions on Issues “Too Sensitive” for Chinese Government