A U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) advisory committee recently determined that phenylephrine, an ingredient commonly used to treat sinus and nasal congestion, is ineffective in treating these symptoms. This was apparent from research for years, yet large...
El senador estadounidense Marco Rubio (R-FL) habló con César Grajales de La Poderosa 670 AM en El Panorama Político, sobre la crisis fronteriza, sobre cómo los hispanoamericanos se ven afectados con la realidad del país, sobre los cargos contra el senador Bob Menéndez...
Pregnant students are sometimes discriminated against by their schools, either intentionally or unintentionally and there is a concerning lack of awareness about the resources and rights available to them. Due to a lack of services and discrimination, these women may...
Currently, intelligence community civilians are subject to certain tax penalties for job-related relocation requirements, but active-duty military servicemembers are not subjected to the same penalties. These tax benefits, including the ability to deduct moving...
Vice Chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence Marco Rubio (R-FL) delivered opening remarks and questioned witnesses at a hearing on countering China’s influence in the United States. Watch Rubio’s opening remarks here as well as Part I and Part II of...
Approximately 302,000 Americans live with spinal cord injuries. To help these people achieve a better quality of life, there is a need to increase education and invest in research. U.S. Senators Marco Rubio (R-FL) and Tammy Baldwin (D-WI) successfully led a bipartisan...
Rubio, Romney Reintroduce Bill Giving New Parents Option for Paid Leave
Washington, D.C. — U.S. Senators Marco Rubio (R-FL) and Mitt Romney (R-UT) will reintroduce the New Parents Act, which creates a voluntary option for paid parental leave by allowing new parents to use a portion of their Social Security after the birth or adoption of a child. The bill also provides parents the flexibility to use their benefits in a way that works best for their household by allowing parents to combine their leaves, or transfer them to one parent. Many parents, especially those with low incomes, will be able to finance three months of leave, or longer, under the New Parents Act. A one pager of the bill is available here.
“Our economic policies need to reflect our values, and right now far too many young, working families are falling behind,” Rubio said. “We can support working and stay-at-home moms and dads alike without raising taxes or expanding federal bureaucracy. Our New Parents Act would give young families much-needed flexibility in how they choose to use their money and support their family.”
“American families are facing greater financial strain, worsened by the COVID-19 pandemic, and marriage and birth rates are at an all-time low,” Romney said. “In Utah, and throughout the United States, a majority of working parents do not get paid when they take time off from work after the birth or adoption of a child, which can mean depleted savings, credit card debt, and student loan defaults. We are reintroducing the New Parents Act in order to give parents the flexibility to take time off from work with pay during the first weeks of their children’s lives, without growing our national debt, raising taxes, or creating a new entitlement program.”
- April 28, 2021: Fact Sheet: Rubio Delivers for Families
- June 16, 2019: ICYMI: Rubio: New Parents Need Paid Family Leave, and Here’s a Bill to Provide It
- March 27, 2019: Rubio, Romney, Wagner, Crenshaw Introduce Bill Giving Parents an Option for Paid Family Leave
- August 2, 2018: Rubio Unveils Bill Giving Parents an Option for Paid Family Leave
- August 1, 2018: Rubio and Wagner: New parents face the ‘social insecurity’ of our time, so let’s help
- August 2, 2018: Rubio: Helping Our Children Begins the Day They are Born by Giving Parents the Option of Paid Leave
- August 7, 2018: Rubio: Parents Should Be Able to Use Their Own Money to Help Start and Raise a Family
- August 20, 2018: What They’re Saying: Rubio’s Paid Family Leave Plan Is “A Win-Win For Everyone”
- August 30, 2018: Analysis: Urban Study Understates Benefits of Rubio Paid Parental Leave Plan