Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. Ltd. (CATL), a company directly funded and supported by the Chinese Communist Party, continues to pose national security risks to the United States. This past spring, CATL batteries were installed at Camp Lejeune, North...
U.S. Senator Marco Rubio’s (R-FL) office will host in-person Mobile Office Hours next week to assist constituents with federal casework issues in their respective local communities. These office hours offer constituents who do not live close to one of Senator Rubio’s...
A mysterious respiratory illness is once again spreading in China. Until we know more about what could be a new pathogen, the United States must do everything possible to prevent the illness from reaching our shores. U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) and colleagues sent...
Rubio y Colegas a Biden: Prohiba los Viajes Procedentes de China para Evitar la Propagación de Enfermedades Misteriosas
Una misteriosa enfermedad respiratoria se está propagando una vez más en China. Hasta que sepamos más sobre lo que podría ser un nuevo patógeno, EE.UU. debe hacer todo lo posible para evitar que la enfermedad llegue a nuestras costas. El senador estadounidense Marco...
El 21 de diciembre del 2023 expirarán las sanciones del gobierno de EE.UU. contra el narco-dictador venezolano Nicolás Maduro y 150 miembros de su régimen criminal, quienes son responsables de abusos contra los DDHH. del pueblo venezolano. El senador estadounidense...
On December 21, 2023, the U.S. government’s sanctions against Venezuela’s narco-dictator Nicolás Maduro, and 150 members of his criminal regime responsible for human rights abuses against the Venezuelan people, will expire. U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL)...
Rubio Files Amendments to Disaster Supplemental to Increase Aid to Florida Communities
Washington, D.C. — Today, U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) filed four amendments to the disaster supplemental that is currently being considered on the Senate floor. The amendments would increase the amount of aid for Florida communities struggling to recover from Hurricane Michael, which devastated Florida’s panhandle in October 2018.
“Earlier this month, I introduced legislation to secure our southern border and fully fund a disaster response package to help states recover from recent natural disasters, including many communities in Florida devastated by Hurricane Michael,” Rubio said. “These amendments would ensure the current disaster supplemental aid package currently being considered by the Senate fully addresses the critical issues local communities, and our Department of Defense, face to ensure they stay on a path to full recovery.”
Rubio filed four amendments which would:
- Include losses of aquacultured plants and animals as eligible for 2018 Wildfires and Hurricanes Indemnity Program (WHIP) payments. Similar language was included in the Rubio border security and disaster supplemental bill.
- Include the following types of losses as eligible for 2017 WHIP payments: (1) blueberry productivity losses in calendar year 2018 as a result of extreme cold or hurricane damage, (2) milk, (3) aquacultured plants and animals. Similar language was included in the Rubio border security and disaster supplemental bill.
- Limit the period during which certain disasters must have occurred to be eligible for 2018 WHIP payments to the period beginning on January 1, 2018 and ending on the date of the bill’s enactment.
- Increase funding for the Department of Defense to fully account for the needs of Tyndall Air Force Base. In total, the amendment would provide $1.9 billion in funding towards the Department of Defense (excluding Military Construction) for recovery and rebuild efforts related to the to the consequences of Hurricanes Michael and Florence. Of this amount, $1.7 billion for the rebuild of Tyndall Air Force Base.
- Military Personnel $66,952,000
- Operation and Maintenance: $1,683,807,000
- Procurement $130,587,000
- Research, Development, Test and Evaluation $67,728,000
A timeline of Rubio’s actions related to Hurricane Michael is available here.
- March 27, 2019: Rubio, Scott Request TSA Extension from FEMA for Floridians Affected By Hurricane Michael
- March 14, 2019: Rubio Introduces Border Security and Disaster Response Supplemental
- February 26, 2019: Rubio, Colleagues Introduce Major Disaster Relief Package
- February 13, 2019: Rubio, Colleagues Urge Congressional Leadership to Take Prompt Action on Disaster Funding