El senador estadounidense Marco Rubio (R-FL) viajó a Asunción, Paraguay en una visita oficial. Durante su viaje, Rubio se reunió con el embajador de Taiwán en Paraguay, José Han, y reafirmó su apoyo inquebrantable a Taiwán. Paraguay es actualmente el último país en...
RUBIO MEETS WITH TAIWANESE AMBASSADOR TO PARAGUAY, JOSÉ HAN U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) traveled to Asunción, Paraguay on an official visit. During his trip, Rubio met with Taiwanese Ambassador to Paraguay José Han and reaffirmed his unwavering support of...
El senador estadounidense Marco Rubio (R-FL) viajó a Asunción, Paraguay en una visita oficial. Durante su viaje, Rubio se reunió con el presidente Santiago Peña para hablar sobre los desafíos regionales que enfrentan tanto EE.UU. como Paraguay, la importancia de...
U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) traveled to Asunción, Paraguay on an official visit. During his trip, Rubio met with President Santiago Peña to discuss the regional challenges both the U.S. and Paraguay face, the importance of our bilateral relations, and ways...
Alexei Navalny’s Death Is a Loss for Russia and the World U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) February 21, 2024 Newsweek …For more than 10 years, [Alexei] Navalny openly opposed the Russian dictator, calling out the “crooks and thieves” in the Kremlin who enabled his...
After years of left-leaning governments, the people of Argentina democratically elected President Javier Milei and Vice President Victoria Villarruel. U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL), Vice Chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, met with President...
Rubio, Colleagues Introduce Bill to Protect U.S. Schools From China’s Influence
Foreign adversaries, including China, have significantly increased covert tactics to infiltrate American colleges and K-12 schools. They do this to steal research, spread propaganda, and silence students and academics.
U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) and colleagues introduced the Protecting Education from Malign Foreign Influence Act to address and prevent foreign adversaries’ influence in the U.S. education system.
- “The integrity of our schools is one of the most basic guarantees that we should give to our students. Current federal policies to protect our students from adversaries are incomplete and disappointing. The U.S. is being infiltrated through its educational institutions. This bill aims to close those gaps, securing a robust defense against malign foreign influence in our classrooms.” – Senator Rubio
Senators Rick Scott (R-FL) and Tim Scott (R-SC) are original cosponsors.
- “It’s a universally accepted truth that Communist China is stealing U.S. technology and intellectual property from institutions of higher learning. We cannot allow the U.S. federal government to sit back and let this dangerous espionage happen. Now is the time to take a stand against this madness, and I’m proud to join my colleagues in fighting to pass the Protecting Education from Malign Foreign Influence Act to better protect America’s colleges and universities.” – Senator Rick Scott
- “China and other foreign adversaries are infiltrating every level of our education system. We cannot allow American students – the future of our great nation – to be corrupted by bad actors who are pushing anti-American propaganda and sowing chaos and distrust around the world.” –– Senator Tim Scott
This legislation is endorsed by the National Association of Scholars and Parents Defending Education Action.
- “The National Association of Scholars strongly endorses the Protecting Education from Malign Foreign Influence Act and thanks Senator Rubio and his staff for their hard work to safeguard American higher education from our foreign advisories. Protecting Education from Malign Foreign Influence Act ensures that colleges and universities remain a public good for the people of the United States. The Act builds on the momentum of previous work to ensure transparency and adds a layer of repercussion for colleges and universities subordinating American education to the mission of foreign advisories. Protecting Education from Malign Foreign Influence Act ends the all-you-can-steal buffet American colleges and universities provide the People’s Liberation Army and reverses the ability of foreign nations to reach our young men and women through deep pockets.” – National Association of Scholars
- “Neither China nor any other known adversary of the United States should have access to our country’s classrooms. Unfortunately, a report published earlier this year by our partner organization, Parents Defending Education, showed how over the course of the past several years millions of dollars of China-linked funding has flowed into America’s schools. This is not just compromising our country’s national security, but it is jeopardizing the security of thousands of students. The bill introduced by Senator Rubio takes a comprehensive and strategic look at the problem set. If signed into law, this bill will protect students from being exposed to influence from America’s known enemies. PDE Action is proud to support this legislation and looks forward to working with the Senator and every Member of Congress who wants to address foreign influence in schools.” – Director of Federal Affairs for Parents Defending Education Action, Michele Exner
Flashback… Rubio has consistently fought to counter foreign influence in America’s education system, including with amendments filed to the Fiscal Year 2024 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA).
A summary of the legislation can be found here.