Mexican tomato exporters are conducting unfair trade practices and dumping tomatoes into the U.S. market, despite the 2019 Tomato Suspension Agreement. This is forcing American tomato farmers out of business and destroying the domestic tomato industry. U.S....
U.S. Senator Marco Rubio’s (R-FL) office will host in-person and virtual Mobile Office Hours next week to assist constituents with federal casework issues in their respective local communities. These office hours offer constituents who do not live close to one of...
El senador estadounidense Marco Rubio (R-FL) habló con Nio Encendio de Maxima 92.5 de Tampa Bay, sobre cómo la inflación ha impactado a las familias, sobre las olas de migración ilegal, sobre el juicio político de Biden vs. el de Trump, sobre el canje de prisioneros...
This year alone, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has encountered an estimated 40,000 Chinese nationals along the U.S. northern and southern border. The Biden Administration has left the border wide open, allowing potential spies from the Chinese Communist...
Gotion, Inc., a Chinese company and U.S. subsidiary of Guoxuan High-Tech, announced a lithium battery plant in Illinois that is expected to open next year. This CCP-tied battery company is expected to benefit from green-energy tax breaks under the Democrats’ Inflation...
U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) joined National Public Radio’s All Things Considered to discuss his plan to expand the child tax credit for working families. See below for the full transcript and listen to the edited interview here. On the connection between the child...
MYTH vs. FACT: A Cautionary Tale Of How Immigration Myths Don’t Pan Out
MYTH: The immigration bill will be well over 1,500 pages.
FACT: The “Border Security, Economic Opportunity and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013” is 844 pages long. It is available in full online for everyone to read here.
Well before the bill was completed, reports the legislation would be over 1,500 pages were flying:
- “A GOP Senate aide involved in the negotiations said a deal is unlikely this week because writing the bill, which is expected to be up to 1,500 pages, is going slowly.” (David Nakamura, “Immigration Proposal Could be Delayed,” WaPo, 4/7/13)
- Eight senators “are set to unveil a massive immigration bill – some suggest it could 1,500 pages … “ (“Poll: Majority of Undocumented Immigrants Already Have Ties to U.S. Relatives,” The Miami Herald, 4/15/13)
- “[T]he bill, which reportedly includes more than 1,000 pages.” (Neil Munro, “Immigration bill to be released day before hearing,” Daily Caller, 4/12/13)
- Senator Jeff Sessions: “No member of Congress who believes in democratic procedure can acquiesce to the ramming through of a thousand-page bill … “ (Neil Munro, “Sessions Slams Leahy For Immigration Rush,” Daily Caller, 3/27/13)
- Senator Rand Paul: “I’m for immigration reform, but we have 1,600 pages. We’re going to read the details and try to make it acceptable to conservatives.” (Russell Berman & Alexander Bolton, “Obama Hails Senate Immigration Proposal,” The Hill, 4/16/13)
- Byron York: “When it is finally unveiled next week, the immigration reform proposal crafted by the Senate’s bipartisan Gang of Eight will be long — possibly 1,500 pages … “ (Byron York, Op-Ed, “Rush Through Senate Will Kill Trust In Immigration Reform,” Washington Examiner, 4/11/13)
But the truth is the bill was only 844 pages and available for everyone to read online:
- Hot Air’s Ed Morrissey: “It’s about half as long as some feared, and less than a third as long as ObamaCare.” (Ed Morrissey, “Immigration Bill Drops Overnight,” Hot Air, 4/17/13)
- Politico’s Mike Allen: “It’s a breezy 844 pages – down from the previewed/threatened 1,500.” (Politico’s Playbook, 4/17/13)
- “The immigration reform bill released early Wednesday morning by a bipartisan group of eight senators is more than 800 pages long. … Early reports suggested that the bill could run to as many as 1,500 pages.” (Daniel Strauss, “Senate Immigration Bill Runs to 844 Pages,” The Hill, 4/17/13)
- “Full text: The 844-page immigration reform bill” (Charlie Spiering, “Full text: The 844-page immigration reform bill,” Washington Examiner, 4/17/13)
- “The so-called “Gang of 8” on Tuesday night rolled out its bill to overhaul the nation’s immigration system, a day after the bipartisan group of senators unveiled an outline of the proposal. Titled the ‘Border Security, Economic Opportunity & Immigration Modernization Act of 2013,’ the bill comes in at 844 pages.” (Tom Kludt, “Read All 844 Pages Of The Gang Of 8’s Immigration Bill,” TPM, 4/17/13)