U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) joined The Aaron Renn Show to discuss Rubio’s Labor Day report on working (and non-working) men. See below for highlights and listen to the full interview here. On protecting American jobs and interests: “We made a series of economic...
U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) debated Senator Chris Coons (D-DE) on China, global leadership, and environmental policy at an event hosted by the Bipartisan Policy Center’s Senate Project at George Washington University. “We have to shape a future that recognizes...
Por Si Se Lo Perdió: Rubio Sobre la Coexistencia de la Inteligencia Artificial Y el Gobierno de EE.UU.
Inteligencia Artificial: El Congreso de EE.UU. debería pensar antes de regular la industria Por: El senador estadounidense Marco Rubio 22 de septiembre del 2023 Diario Las Américas “Es necesario legislar y aprender al mismo tiempo”. Esta broma reciente del senador...
Mexican tomato exporters are conducting unfair trade practices and dumping tomatoes into the U.S. market, despite the 2019 Tomato Suspension Agreement. This is forcing American tomato farmers out of business and destroying the domestic tomato industry. U.S....
U.S. Senator Marco Rubio’s (R-FL) office will host in-person and virtual Mobile Office Hours next week to assist constituents with federal casework issues in their respective local communities. These office hours offer constituents who do not live close to one of...
El senador estadounidense Marco Rubio (R-FL) habló con Nio Encendio de Maxima 92.5 de Tampa Bay, sobre cómo la inflación ha impactado a las familias, sobre las olas de migración ilegal, sobre el juicio político de Biden vs. el de Trump, sobre el canje de prisioneros...
Rubio Urges Secretary Of Labor To Approve Disaster Unemployment Assistance Extension For Individuals Affected By Hurricane Michael
Miami, FL – Today, U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) requested U.S. Department of Labor Secretary Alexander Acosta to approve the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity’s request to extend the deadline for individuals to apply for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA), as a result of Hurricane Michael. The extension would allow individuals who were affected by Hurricane Michael the ability to apply for much needed assistance.
The full text of the letter is below.
Dear Secretary Acosta:
I write in support of the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity’s request to extend the deadline for individuals to apply for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA), as a result of Hurricane Michael, for an additional 14 days. As you know, Hurricane Michael caused substantial damage throughout Florida’s panhandle, and the region is still recovering. An extension would allow those individuals most affected by the deadly storm the ability to apply for this much needed assistance.
Northwest Florida suffered extensive destruction after the category four storm struck. Many jobs have been affected, and as damages continue to be assessed, many more businesses may permanently close their doors. As businesses continue to make these decisions, workers need support systems as they seek new employment opportunities.
Thank you for your attention to this important request.
Timeline of Rubio Actions Related to Hurricane Michael:
- On November 8, 2018, Rubio released a video highlighting his continued efforts to help communities in the Florida Panhandle recover from the disastrous impact of Hurricane Michael.
- On October 30, 2018, Senators Rubio and Nelson were joined by Representatives Dunn, Gaetz, and Lawson in inviting U.S. Department of Agriculture Secretary Perdue, and Under Secretaries Northey and Hubbard to tour agricultural damage in the Florida Panhandle following Hurricane Michael.
- On October 29, 2018, Rubio was joined by the entire Florida congressional delegation in urging Defense Secretary Jim Mattis in support of Tyndall Air Force Base after it was devastated by Hurricane Michael.
- On October 26, 2018, Senators Rubio, and Nelson were joined by Representatives Dunn, Gaetz, and Lawson in requesting FEMA Administrator Brock Long quickly approve the State of Florida’s request for direct housing assistance for areas hit by Hurricane Michael.
- On October 24, 2018, Senator Rubio, Nelson were joined by Representatives Dunn, Gaetz, and Lawson in urging Secretary Ross to approve the Governor’s request for a federal fishery resource disaster declaration due to Hurricane Michael’s impacts on the Florida Panhandle and its fishing communities.
- On October 22, 2018, Rubio urged Secretary of the Air Force, Heather Wilson, to repair and restore the F-22 Raptors damaged in Hurricane Michael to mission capable status as soon as possible.
- On October 22, 2018, Rubio encouraged FEMA Administrator Brock Long to implement recommendations outlined in a report by the Office of Inspector General in order to help Florida repair and rebuild from the devastation caused by Hurricane Michael, and future storms.
- On October 16, 2018, Rubio urged Secretaries Carson, Mnuchin, and Director Mulvaney to provide federal relief for Floridians impacted by Hurricane Michael.
- On October 16, 2018, Rubio met with Franklin County and Gulf County officials to discuss the ongoing recovery efforts after Hurricane Michael.
- On October 15, 2018, Rubio surveyed the damage caused by Hurricane Michael and met with local officials in Marianna Florida.
- On October 15, 2018, Rubio urged Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos to assist Florida schools affected by Hurricane Michael, particularly, by quickly approving Project SERV applications, which are critical to recovery efforts
- On October 15, 2018, Senators Rubio and Nelson, with members of the Florida delegation, sent a letter urging FEMA Administrator Brock Long to approve Florida Governor Rick Scott’s request to initiate the Transitional Sheltering Assistance (TSA) program for the remaining 13 counties impacted by Hurricane Michael.
- On October 12, 2018, Rubio surveyed the damage caused by Hurricane Michael in the Florida Panhandle.
- On October 12, 2018, Rubio and Nelson with Rep. Neal Dunn urged Secretary Wilson and General Goldfein to expedite repair and restoration operations at Tyndall Air Force Base, which was critically impacted during Hurricane Michael.
- On October 11,2018, Rubio and Nelson urged Secretary of Veterans Affairs (VA) Robert Wilkie to authorize increased outreach efforts and benefits assistance for Florida veterans impacted by Hurricane Michael.
- On October 11, 2018, FEMA Administrator Brock Long briefed Rubio on damage caused by Hurricane Michael.
- On October 10, 2018, ahead of Hurricane Michael’s landfall, Rubio urgedAttorney General Sessions, Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, and Internal Revenue Service Commissioner Charles Rettig to assist communities affected by the storm.
- On October 10, 2018, following Hurricane Michael’s landfall, Rubio, Nelson and Florida Representatives urged President Donald Trump to approve Florida’s request for a major disaster declaration. Today, the President approved the State of Florida’s major disaster declaration.
- On October 9, 2018, Rubio joined Senator Nelson and Florida Representatives in urging President Trump to approve Florida Governor Rick Scott’s request for a pre-landfall emergency declaration ahead of Hurricane Michael.