Mexican tomato exporters are conducting unfair trade practices and dumping tomatoes into the U.S. market, despite the 2019 Tomato Suspension Agreement. This is forcing American tomato farmers out of business and destroying the domestic tomato industry. U.S....
U.S. Senator Marco Rubio’s (R-FL) office will host in-person and virtual Mobile Office Hours next week to assist constituents with federal casework issues in their respective local communities. These office hours offer constituents who do not live close to one of...
El senador estadounidense Marco Rubio (R-FL) habló con Nio Encendio de Maxima 92.5 de Tampa Bay, sobre cómo la inflación ha impactado a las familias, sobre las olas de migración ilegal, sobre el juicio político de Biden vs. el de Trump, sobre el canje de prisioneros...
This year alone, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has encountered an estimated 40,000 Chinese nationals along the U.S. northern and southern border. The Biden Administration has left the border wide open, allowing potential spies from the Chinese Communist...
Gotion, Inc., a Chinese company and U.S. subsidiary of Guoxuan High-Tech, announced a lithium battery plant in Illinois that is expected to open next year. This CCP-tied battery company is expected to benefit from green-energy tax breaks under the Democrats’ Inflation...
U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) joined National Public Radio’s All Things Considered to discuss his plan to expand the child tax credit for working families. See below for the full transcript and listen to the edited interview here. On the connection between the child...
Rubio Introduces HUD Health and Safety Accountability Act to Protect Tenants
Miami, FL — U.S. Senators Marco Rubio (R-FL) and Rick Scott (R-FL) introduced the HUD Health and Safety Accountability Act to hold property owners and managers of Section 8 Project Based Rental Assistance (PBRA) housing accountable for health and safety conditions of properties. The legislation would also empower local governments to have more oversight over federal Section 8 PBRA housing within city jurisdiction and reinstate tenant surveys regarding physical conditions.
“I have seen firsthand the disgusting conditions that some affordable housing residents are forced to endure due to HUD’s neglect and property mismanagement,” Rubio said. “No one should have to live in fear of their health and safety, and I will continue to do everything in my power to ensure decent, safe, and sanitary housing for Florida families.”
“The HUD Health and Safety Accountability Act will ensure that residents in low-income and subsidized housing are living in healthy homes,” Scott said. “Through these good reforms that will increase compliance, HUD will be able to better serve tenants in need and safeguard their rights. As someone who grew up in public housing, I understand just how important these reforms are and I urge my colleagues to support this good bill so that families everywhere are living in secure and clean properties.”
“The North Tampa Housing Development Corporation (NTHDC) applauds Senator Rubio for introducing the HUD Health and Safety Accountability Act that offers enhanced protections for residents residing in federally subsidized communities,” NTHDC Director Layla Hartz said. “This legislation promotes resident participation and feedback, increased cooperation between local code enforcement departments, HUD and the Contract Administrator, vital reforms to property reviews and inspections and important reforms to HUD oversight. North Tampa Housing Development Corporation shares Senator Rubio’s desire to make affordable housing communities safe, clean, and habitable for all of its residents.”
The HUD Health and Safety Accountability Act would:
- Reform mandatory physical inspections and reviews of management to include responsiveness to local code enforcement and to prioritize health/safety conditions;
- Reinstate tenant surveys based on property condition;
- Provide tenants with relevant contact resources; and,
- Require a report on property conditions, compliance with HUD enforcement actions; and unlawfully missed physical inspections.
Rubio has long fought for the health and safety of residents of affordable housing. Most recently, Rubio has been fighting for safe and sanitary living conditions for residents at Hilltop Village, Eastside Terrace, and Eastside Gardens, apartment complexes in Jacksonville, Florida, which are all federally contracted under HUD’s Section 8 Project-Based Rental Assistance program.
- September 15, 2021 – Rubio Introduces Bill to Keep Children and Families Safe From Lead Hazards
- August 10, 2021 – Rubio Demands HUD Address Unsafe and Unsanitary Conditions at Hilltop Village Apartments, Relocate Affected Residents
- August 5, 2021 – Rubio, Scott Urge HUD to Debar Slumlord Andrew Podray From Federal Housing Programs
- July 30, 2021 – Rubio Introduces Bill to Reform HUD Inspection Process, Hold Slumlords Accountable
- July 14, 2021 – Rubio Blasts Jacksonville Slumlord, “stomach-churning”
- June 30, 2021 – Rubio Requests HUD Take Immediate Action at Cambridge Management Properties in Florida
- May 21, 2021 – Rubio Directs HUD to Resume Inspections of 29 Low-Income Properties Throughout Florida
- May 5, 2021 – Rubio Requests HUD Take Immediate Action at Hilltop Village Apartments in Jacksonville
- April 30, 2021 – Rubio Requests HUD Take Immediate Action at Eastside Terrace and Eastside Gardens Apartments in Jacksonville