A recent report exposed Pfizer’s financial assistance to Dying with Dignity Canada (DWDC), raising questions about its stance on assisted suicide. DWDC has pushed to expand the eligibility for “medically assisted death” to children as young as 12 years old. Pfizer’s...
Adversaries, such as China, are heavily investing in space infrastructure. U.S. lawmakers must counter by accelerating the development of our own space infrastructure. With the number of launches from the U.S. continuing to grow, doubling in just the last seven years,...
The mission of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Diplomatic Security (DS) has not been updated since 1985. Current threats to our nation require the mission be modernized in order to counter our adversaries and mitigate current and emerging threats. U.S....
U.S. Senators Marco Rubio (R-FL) and Rick Scott (R-FL) introduced a bill to rename the West Palm Beach VA Medical Center after Thomas H. Corey. Thomas Corey was a medically retired combat veteran who resided near West Palm Beach following his service in the United...
U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) joined Hannity to discuss President Biden’s visit to the border and the problem of mass migration. Watch the full interview on YouTube and Rumble. On President Biden’s visit to the border: “6.2 million people [have entered the country],...
A Dutch appeals court has issued a decision that threatens to stop the supply of American-made F-35 jet parts to Israel. The court’s ruling, in favor of anti-Israel foreign activists, demonstrates how such groups threaten the ability of the United States, and other...
Rubio Introduces Bills to Make Daylight Saving Time Permanent
Washington, D.C. — U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) introduced legislation, the Sunshine Protection Act, that would make Daylight Saving Time (DST) permanent across the country. He also introduced the Sunshine State Act, which would give Florida approval to establish permanent DST within its boundaries. This is in response to the Florida legislature’s overwhelming vote in support of staying on DST. Many studies have shown that making DST permanent could benefit the economy and the country.
“Last week, Florida’s legislature overwhelmingly voted for permanent Daylight Saving Time for the State of Florida,” said Rubio. “Reflecting the will of the Sunshine State, I proudly introduce these bills that would approve Florida’s will and, if made nationally, would also ensure Florida is not out of sync with the rest of the nation.”
“As the 2018 session just recently concluded, I am proud to have sponsored HB 1013 which overwhelmingly passed both the House and Senate. We have heard from countless Floridians about the importance of maintaining Daylight Saving Time, including benefits to our economy, public safety and health. I look forward to working with Senator Rubio and his colleagues on addressing this issue. I am confident that the Sunshine State will lead the growing movement across the nation in adopting DST year-round,” said the bill sponsor, Jeanette M. Nuñez (R-Miami), Speaker Pro Tempore of the Florida House of Representatives.
Potential effects of making Daylight Saving Time permanent for the nation:
- Benefits the economy, including the elimination of a substantial economic decline that comes every November when clocks move back, according to a study by JP Morgan Chase of major city regions, which found that there is a drop in economic activity of 2.2 percent – 4.9 percent when clocks move back.
- Benefits the agricultural economy, which is disproportionately disrupted by biannual changes in time by upsetting farm schedules and farmers’ relationships with their supply chain and distribution partners.
- Reduces the number of robberies by 27 percent, according to a 2015 Brookings Institution report, because of additional daylight in the evenings.
- Reduces car crashes and car wrecks involving pedestrians because the additional sunlight increased visibility, according to the American Journal of Public Health and the Journal of Safety Research.
- Reduces childhood obesity, according to studies published by the International Journal Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity and the Journal of Physical Activity and Health which found that children have more hours of physical activity during DST.
- Increased physical fitness, according to the Journal of Environment Psychology, which found that Day Light Saving Time increased pedestrian activity by 62% and cyclists activity by 38% because of additional daylight.
- Positive impact on wildlife conservation, according to a collaboration of 16 experts who studied DST’s impact on wildlife across the United States, Europe and parts of Australia concluded that DST reduces the number of vehicle collisions with wildlife by 8 – 11 percent by shifting normal traffic patterns to an hour off from nocturnal wildlife’s behavior.