U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) joined The Aaron Renn Show to discuss Rubio’s Labor Day report on working (and non-working) men. See below for highlights and listen to the full interview here. On protecting American jobs and interests: “We made a series of economic...
U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) debated Senator Chris Coons (D-DE) on China, global leadership, and environmental policy at an event hosted by the Bipartisan Policy Center’s Senate Project at George Washington University. “We have to shape a future that recognizes...
Por Si Se Lo Perdió: Rubio Sobre la Coexistencia de la Inteligencia Artificial Y el Gobierno de EE.UU.
Inteligencia Artificial: El Congreso de EE.UU. debería pensar antes de regular la industria Por: El senador estadounidense Marco Rubio 22 de septiembre del 2023 Diario Las Américas “Es necesario legislar y aprender al mismo tiempo”. Esta broma reciente del senador...
Mexican tomato exporters are conducting unfair trade practices and dumping tomatoes into the U.S. market, despite the 2019 Tomato Suspension Agreement. This is forcing American tomato farmers out of business and destroying the domestic tomato industry. U.S....
U.S. Senator Marco Rubio’s (R-FL) office will host in-person and virtual Mobile Office Hours next week to assist constituents with federal casework issues in their respective local communities. These office hours offer constituents who do not live close to one of...
El senador estadounidense Marco Rubio (R-FL) habló con Nio Encendio de Maxima 92.5 de Tampa Bay, sobre cómo la inflación ha impactado a las familias, sobre las olas de migración ilegal, sobre el juicio político de Biden vs. el de Trump, sobre el canje de prisioneros...
Rubio Introduces Bills to Make Daylight Saving Time Permanent
Washington, D.C. — U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) introduced legislation, the Sunshine Protection Act, that would make Daylight Saving Time (DST) permanent across the country. He also introduced the Sunshine State Act, which would give Florida approval to establish permanent DST within its boundaries. This is in response to the Florida legislature’s overwhelming vote in support of staying on DST. Many studies have shown that making DST permanent could benefit the economy and the country.
“Last week, Florida’s legislature overwhelmingly voted for permanent Daylight Saving Time for the State of Florida,” said Rubio. “Reflecting the will of the Sunshine State, I proudly introduce these bills that would approve Florida’s will and, if made nationally, would also ensure Florida is not out of sync with the rest of the nation.”
“As the 2018 session just recently concluded, I am proud to have sponsored HB 1013 which overwhelmingly passed both the House and Senate. We have heard from countless Floridians about the importance of maintaining Daylight Saving Time, including benefits to our economy, public safety and health. I look forward to working with Senator Rubio and his colleagues on addressing this issue. I am confident that the Sunshine State will lead the growing movement across the nation in adopting DST year-round,” said the bill sponsor, Jeanette M. Nuñez (R-Miami), Speaker Pro Tempore of the Florida House of Representatives.
Potential effects of making Daylight Saving Time permanent for the nation:
- Benefits the economy, including the elimination of a substantial economic decline that comes every November when clocks move back, according to a study by JP Morgan Chase of major city regions, which found that there is a drop in economic activity of 2.2 percent – 4.9 percent when clocks move back.
- Benefits the agricultural economy, which is disproportionately disrupted by biannual changes in time by upsetting farm schedules and farmers’ relationships with their supply chain and distribution partners.
- Reduces the number of robberies by 27 percent, according to a 2015 Brookings Institution report, because of additional daylight in the evenings.
- Reduces car crashes and car wrecks involving pedestrians because the additional sunlight increased visibility, according to the American Journal of Public Health and the Journal of Safety Research.
- Reduces childhood obesity, according to studies published by the International Journal Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity and the Journal of Physical Activity and Health which found that children have more hours of physical activity during DST.
- Increased physical fitness, according to the Journal of Environment Psychology, which found that Day Light Saving Time increased pedestrian activity by 62% and cyclists activity by 38% because of additional daylight.
- Positive impact on wildlife conservation, according to a collaboration of 16 experts who studied DST’s impact on wildlife across the United States, Europe and parts of Australia concluded that DST reduces the number of vehicle collisions with wildlife by 8 – 11 percent by shifting normal traffic patterns to an hour off from nocturnal wildlife’s behavior.