This year alone, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has encountered an estimated 40,000 Chinese nationals along the U.S. northern and southern border. The Biden Administration has left the border wide open, allowing potential spies from the Chinese Communist...
Gotion, Inc., a Chinese company and U.S. subsidiary of Guoxuan High-Tech, announced a lithium battery plant in Illinois that is expected to open next year. This CCP-tied battery company is expected to benefit from green-energy tax breaks under the Democrats’ Inflation...
U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) joined National Public Radio’s All Things Considered to discuss his plan to expand the child tax credit for working families. See below for the full transcript and listen to the edited interview here. On the connection between the child...
U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) joined Wake Up America to discuss the U.S. House of Representatives’ impeachment inquiry and the hypocritical reaction by Democrats. See below for highlights and watch the full interview on YouTube and Rumble. On the U.S. House of...
Russia must face severe consequences for its unjustified and unprovoked invasion of Ukraine. Moscow continues to have open access to critical U.S. capital, which fuels Putin and his criminal war machine, through state-controlled and state-owned companies such as...
U.S. Senators Marco Rubio (R-FL) and Alex Padilla (D-CA) issued a joint statement condemning Azerbaijan’s unprovoked and unjustified military incursion in the South Caucasus against Armenians under the false pretext of leading an 'anti-terrorist operation' and in...
Rubio & Colleagues Urge FEMA to Approve Transitional Sheltering Assistance to 14 Counties Impacted by Hurricane Michael
Marianna, FL –Today, U.S. Senators Marco Rubio (R-FL), Bill Nelson (D-FL) and members of the Florida delegation sent a letter urging FEMA Administrator Brock Long to approve Florida Governor Rick Scott’s request to initiate the Transitional Sheltering Assistance (TSA) program for the remaining 13 counties impacted by Major Hurricane Michael: Calhoun, Franklin, Gadsden, Gulf, Hamilton, Jackson, Jefferson, Leon, Liberty, Madison, Suwannee, Taylor and Wakulla. The TSA program would offer short-term lodging assistance for eligible disaster survivors displaced from their homes as a result of Hurricane Michael. Yesterday, FEMA informed the state that Bay County had been approved.
Joining the Senators in sending the letter were Representatives Neal Dunn (R-FL), Al Lawson (D-FL), and Matt Gaetz (R-FL).
The full text of the letter is below.
Dear Administrator Long:
As you know, Hurricane Michael made landfall in Florida’s panhandle five days ago, and communities are in the initial recovery stages. Many Floridians have been displaced from their homes and communities. As such, we write in support of the State of Florida’s request for the Transitional Sheltering Assistance (TSA) program. While we were pleased that the Federal Emergency Management Agency approved TSA for Bay County yesterday evening, it is critical that the TSA program is extended to all 14 counties requested by the state, so that survivors have needed housing options in the immediate aftermath of the storm.
The TSA program, which provides short-term lodging in hotels and motels, is essential as many people return to destroyed or otherwise uninhabitable homes after the storm. While we appreciate the federal government’s quick approval of a major disaster declaration designation for Florida, we must ensure all necessary resources are used in the immediate aftermath of the storm.
Countless homes were inundated with water damage and available housing will be an ongoing issue for Floridians in the affected area. As such, prompt approval of the TSA program will provide some comfort while survivors recover and rebuild after this catastrophic storm.
Thank you for your attention to this matter. We look forward to working with you.
Timeline of Rubio Actions Related to Hurricane Michael:
- On October 12, 208, Rubio surveyed the damage caused by Hurricane Michael in the Florida Panhandle.
- On October 12, 2018, Senators Rubio and Nelson with Rep. Neal Dunn urged Secretary Wilson and General Goldfein to expedite repair and restoration operations at Tyndall Air Force Base, which was critically impacted during Hurricane Michael.
- On October 11,2018, Senators Rubio and Nelson urged Secretary of Veterans Affairs (VA) Robert Wilkie to authorize increased outreach efforts and benefits assistance for Florida veterans impacted by Hurricane Michael.
- On October 11, 2018, FEMA Administrator Brock Long briefed Rubio on damage caused by Hurricane Michael.
- On October 10, 2018, ahead of Hurricane Michael’s landfall, Rubio urged Attorney General Sessions, Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, and Internal Revenue Service Commissioner Charles Rettig to assist communities affected by the storm.
- On October 10, 2018, following Hurricane Michael’s landfall, Rubio, Nelson and Florida Representatives urged President Donald Trump to approve Florida’s request for a major disaster declaration. Today, the President approved the State of Florida’s major disaster declaration.
- On October 9, 2018, Rubio joined Senator Nelson and Florida Representatives in urging President Trump to approve Florida Governor Rick Scott’s request for a pre-landfall emergency declaration ahead of Hurricane Michael.