A U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) advisory committee recently determined that phenylephrine, an ingredient commonly used to treat sinus and nasal congestion, is ineffective in treating these symptoms. This was apparent from research for years, yet large...
El senador estadounidense Marco Rubio (R-FL) habló con César Grajales de La Poderosa 670 AM en El Panorama Político, sobre la crisis fronteriza, sobre cómo los hispanoamericanos se ven afectados con la realidad del país, sobre los cargos contra el senador Bob Menéndez...
Pregnant students are sometimes discriminated against by their schools, either intentionally or unintentionally and there is a concerning lack of awareness about the resources and rights available to them. Due to a lack of services and discrimination, these women may...
Currently, intelligence community civilians are subject to certain tax penalties for job-related relocation requirements, but active-duty military servicemembers are not subjected to the same penalties. These tax benefits, including the ability to deduct moving...
Vice Chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence Marco Rubio (R-FL) delivered opening remarks and questioned witnesses at a hearing on countering China’s influence in the United States. Watch Rubio’s opening remarks here as well as Part I and Part II of...
Approximately 302,000 Americans live with spinal cord injuries. To help these people achieve a better quality of life, there is a need to increase education and invest in research. U.S. Senators Marco Rubio (R-FL) and Tammy Baldwin (D-WI) successfully led a bipartisan...
Rubio Blasts Coast Guard for Moving Offshore Patrol Cutter Construction Out of Florida
Miami, FL — U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) blasted the U.S. Coast Guard’s announcement that it will not award Panama City’s Eastern Shipbuilding with the second phase of its Offshore Patrol Cutter (OPC) program, which is for up to 11 cutters.
“Today’s decision is short-sighted,” Rubio said. “When I visited Eastern Shipbuilding last year, I saw firsthand their commitment to building reliable, state-of-the-art ships. They have proven they can do the job and do it well. This decision will cost taxpayers more money and slow down the delivery of these critical vessels.”
The Coast Guard awarded the first OPC contract to Eastern in 2016. After Hurricane Michael wreaked havoc on Northwest Florida in 2019, Rubio led the effort to ensure the program stayed on track. In July 2021, Rubio toured the facility and received an update on the U.S. Coast Guard’s OPC program.
- July 8, 2021: Rubio Visits Eastern Shipbuilding
- October 11, 2019: Rubio Applauds Coast Guard Commitment to Build Offshore Patrol Cutters in Florida
- July 31, 2019: Rubio Applauds Commerce Committee Passage of the Restore Coast Guard Capabilities Act to Build Offshore Patrol Cutters
- July 30, 2019: Rubio, Scott Introduce Bill to Provide Coast Guard with Needed Authority to Build Offshore Patrol Cutters
- July 23, 2019: Rubio Introduces Legislation to Reduce Maintenance Backlog for Critical Coast Guard Infrastructure
- June 13, 2019: Rubio, Scott file an amendment (S.AMDT.553) to the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2020 to consider the impacts of Hurricane Michael in Modification of the Offshore Patrol Cutter contract
- January 16, 2019: Rubio Joins Colleagues In Supporting Pay Our Coast Guard Act
- September 15, 2016: Rubio Congratulates Eastern Shipbuilding on Coast Guard Contract