Foreign entities have fueled extremist Palestinian groups and encouraged their hateful actions towards the Jewish state of Israel and its people.
U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) and colleagues reintroduced the Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad International Terrorism Support Prevention Act to impose sanctions on foreign individuals, entities, and governments that provide support to Hamas, Palestinian Islamic Jihad, and other Palestinian terrorist groups that just spent weeks launching more than 1,000 rockets at Israeli civilians in 2023.
Senators Kevin Cramer (R-ND), Bill Cassidy (R-LA), Mike Braun (R-IN), Thom Tillis (R-NC), Rick Scott (R-FL), John Hoeven (R-ND), Jerry Moran (R-KS), Bill Hagerty (R-TN), Steve Daines (R-MT) and Todd Young (R-IN) are original cosponsors.
- “As these terrorist groups continue to show no regard for the people of Israel, I’m proud to reintroduce this bill, which seeks to impose sanctions against foreign nationals and governments that are actively providing material support to these groups. We must hold accountable the individuals who are aiding Hamas terrorists and Palestinian Islamic Jihad.” – Senator Rubio
- “Terrorist organizations threaten the existence of our greatest ally: the Jewish State of Israel. We must hold those aiding terrorists accountable with stiff sanctions.” – Senator Cassidy
- “Israel is facing unyielding attacks from Hamas and other Palestinian terrorist groups. Rockets continue to rain down on innocent Israelis and America must make clear that we will always stand unapologetically with our great ally, Israel, and against all that wish it harm. I’m proud to support this legislation that strengthens our support for Israel with a strong show of force by imposing sanctions against individuals, entities and governments that fund some of the largest terrorist groups that attack Israel.” – Senator Scott
- “Our legislation will sanction those who support terrorism against Israel, while holding accountable those nations that do not take seriously the threats posed by Palestinian terrorist groups. Israel is one of America’s closest allies and deserves our support in countering these persistent threats to its security.” – Senator Hoeven
- “As Iran-backed terrorist groups continue to indiscriminately fire rockets in to Israel with the intent of killing civilians, the United States must do more to help our closest ally in the Middle East counter terrorist adversaries. That’s why I’m pleased to co-sponsor the Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad International Terrorism Support Prevention Act, a critical bill to impose sanctions against foreign individuals and entities that financially support this terrorism.” – Senator Hagerty
Specifically, this bill would impose sanctions on foreign persons—or agencies of foreign states—that knowingly assist, sponsor, or provide significant support for the terrorist activities of Hamas or PIJ. Sanctions include asset freezes, denial of arms exports, denial of dual-use exports, prohibitions on major loans or financing from U.S. financial institutions, and denial of Export-Import Bank support.
Want more information?
- May 2021: Rubio Leads Colleagues in Introducing Bill to Sanction Enablers of Palestinian Terrorist Groups