| Nov 14 2012
While members of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee were tight-lipped about a classified briefing on the deadly terrorist attacks in Benghazi, Libya, many made it clear they still had unanswered questions about what happened.
Committee member Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) told reporters following the mid-afternoon briefing that he was pushing to hear from Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who has so far been absent from the hill following the Sept. 11 attacks.
“I think ultimately we need to hear from Secretary Clinton,” Rubio said. “I think she’s willing to come in and talk about it, I know she’s traveling, but hopefully she’ll be back soon and we can get some answers from her. I think she has an invaluable role to play.”
Rubio said he still wanted to know what assessments had been made early on about the safety of the diplomatic operation in Benghazi, what is being done now to prevent the success of another attack at U.S. diplomatic missions around the world, and why the administration had chosen to characterize the attacks as a spontaneous response to an offensive YouTube video for weeks following the attacks.
At this point, Rubio said, that narrative has been utterly discredited.
“I think it’s pretty clear at this point in hindsight that this was a planned and coordinated attack,” he said. “Now we can debate on how they coordinated it and how many days in advance they planned it, but I don’t think there’s any reasonable doubt now that this was not a violent protest. This was an attack by well-armed, military style individuals who carried out this attack against a U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi.”
U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans were killed in the attack.
Rubio said he also wanted to hear from former CIA director David Petraeus regardless of his sudden resignation in disgrace on Friday, though that testimony would come before the Senate Intelligence committee, where Rubio also sits.
Keep reading here.