El Salvador is a bright spot. It can become even brighter U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) February 23, 2024 Informe Orwell I made my first official visit to El Salvador in March 2023. What I saw was remarkable: under President Nayib Bukele, one of the world’s most...
U.S. Senator Marco Rubio’s (R-FL) office will host in-person Mobile Office Hours next week to assist constituents with federal casework issues in their respective local communities. These office hours offer constituents who do not live close to one of Senator Rubio’s...
El Salvador es un punto de optimismo en nuestra región 23 de febrero del 2024 Informe Orwell En marzo del 2023 hice mi primera visita oficial a El Salvador. Es notable resaltar que bajo el gobierno del presidente Nayib Bukele, uno de los países más peligrosos del...
El senador estadounidense Marco Rubio (R-FL) viajó a Asunción, Paraguay en una visita oficial. Durante su viaje, Rubio se reunió con el embajador de Taiwán en Paraguay, José Han, y reafirmó su apoyo inquebrantable a Taiwán. Paraguay es actualmente el último país en...
RUBIO MEETS WITH TAIWANESE AMBASSADOR TO PARAGUAY, JOSÉ HAN U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) traveled to Asunción, Paraguay on an official visit. During his trip, Rubio met with Taiwanese Ambassador to Paraguay José Han and reaffirmed his unwavering support of...
El senador estadounidense Marco Rubio (R-FL) viajó a Asunción, Paraguay en una visita oficial. Durante su viaje, Rubio se reunió con el presidente Santiago Peña para hablar sobre los desafíos regionales que enfrentan tanto EE.UU. como Paraguay, la importancia de...
Rubio Introduces Bill to Extend National Flood Insurance Program for 10 Months
Washington, D.C. – Today, U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL), along with Senators John Kennedy (R-LA), Bill Cassidy (R-LA) and Robert Menendez (D-NJ) introduced legislation to reauthorize the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) through September 30, 2019. The legislation would ensure retroactive coverage in the event of a programmatic lapse. The NFIP is currently set to expire on December 7, 2018.
“While I am frustrated with the continued need for extensions, it has become clear that we need additional time to come to a consensus on bipartisan and bicameral reforms to the NFIP,” Rubio said. “Floridians who rely on this program cannot afford this uncertainty when we enter the 2019 hurricane season. I urge my colleagues to pass this important extension as soon as possible.”
“More than five million Americans depend on the National Flood Insurance Program,” Kennedy said. “I want to thank Sen. Rubio for his work on this long-term extension that is vital to families and the economy. For those of us who live along the Gulf Coast, the NFIP means we don’t have to worry every time it rains.”
“We must prevent the National Flood Insurance Program from lapsing and set the stage for long-term reforms,” said Dr. Cassidy. “We need a more accountable, affordable and sustainable system that is good for Louisiana and good for taxpayers.”
“The National Flood Insurance Program needs to be comprehensively reformed to make the program more fair, affordable, efficient and solvent, which is what my SAFE NFIP would do,” said Menendez. “But with the NFIP extension expiring it’s critical that we prevent a lapse that would disrupt the real estate market and leave thousands of families uninsured and vulnerable. This extension will give Congress time to pass a long-term reauthorization with real, meaningful reforms in line with my SAFE NFIP Act, which is the most bipartisan flood insurance bill in the Senate.”
Timeline of Rubio’s Efforts on the National Flood Insurance Program
- November 28, 2018 –Rubio Comments on NFIP Reauthorization
- November 15, 2018 – Rubio Introduces Bill to Reauthorize National Flood Insurance Program for Six Months
- July 31, 2018 – Rubio Comments on Senate Reauthorization of National Flood Insurance Program
- July 25, 2018 – Rubio on National Flood Insurance Program: We Should Not Hold Floridians Hostage
- July 18, 2018 – Rubio Video Statement: We need to extend NFIP now or it will be a disaster for Florida
- July 18, 2018 – Rubio in Tampa Bay Times: Congress Needs Long-Term Solution for Flood Insurance Program
- June 21, 2018 – Rubio Secures Funding for FEMA Pre-disaster Mitigation and Flood Hazard Mapping and Risk Analysis Programs in Appropriations Bill
- June 13, 2017 – Rubio, Menendez, Colleagues Lead Bipartisan Flood Insurance Reform Bill
- June 13, 2017 – Rubio in Wall Street Journal: A bipartisan plan for Flood Insurance
- February 28, 2017 – Rubio Meets with Florida Legislative Leaders to Discuss Federal-State Issues, Including The National Flood Insurance Program